Thursday, July 8, 2010

This will be a life-changing experience and it has already begun

James 2:14-17

Dear brothers and sisters, what's the use of saying you have faith if you don't prove it by your actions? That kind of faith can't save anyone. Suppose you see a brother or sister who needs food or clothing, and you say, "Well, good-bye and God bless you; stay warm and eat well" –but then you don't give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?

So you see, it isn't good enough just to have faith. Faith that doesn't show itself by good deeds is no faith at all–it is dead and useless.

I was convicted after reading this.

For so long I lived a life full of "good intentions" -I thought that was enough. I thought that as long as I felt compassionate towards someone or wanted to help someone in need, maybe even said a little prayer for that person begging for food on the side of the road, then I was doing good in God's eyes. Boy, was I wrong! Maybe that is just the beginning... there is so much more to DO.

So how can I sit and do nothing at all, when God is clearly asking me to MOVE! -not just here in Hawaii, but wherever He might be calling me to go.

Earlier this year, God told me that I would be going on a mission sometime this summer. He didn't give me specific dates, where I'd be going or for how long I'd be there. I immediately began planning and taking control of things. Nothing was working out - doors kept shutting and I was going nowhere. Summer was approaching and I began to doubt that what I heard, was in fact, from God. He reminded me of His promise. This time, I had no choice but to give it all to God and give Him control of the planning -It was only a few weeks later that I was sitting in on the very first Haiti Mission meeting!

Words can't even begin to express just how excited and blessed I am that God would be willing to send me to Haiti with an amazing God-focused team. I don't even know what to expect when I get there but I do know that God will show up and He will do amazing things in both the lives of the locals there and as well as our team. This will be a life-changing experience and it has already begun! - Jara

No comments:

Post a Comment