Friday, July 16, 2010

Regardless of the Circumstances, the Future is Bright

We've had a full 3 days here so far and I've never sweat so much in my life. Really! I was sitting at dinner with my elbow out, holding my fork and within like, 10 seconds, a small puddle of sweat had built up in my elbow and as I bent it to my mouth, it soaked my t-shirt! I also haven't been so dirty at the end of the "work day" either. But, besides the heavy humidity, God's love for the people shines brightly e is so evident, you can cut it with a knife.

Case in point. Today was the first day we visited the orphanages. When we got there, the orphanage directors were there and corralled the kids to make some sort of presentation. You couldn't help but coo at the little ones in the front row. And, right on cue came the unified voice of a precious children's choir. They sang a song of welcome in French/Creole (the only way I could tell was that I heard the word "Bienvenue") and then they sang the French version of "If you're happy and you know it". So, so precious!!

Then, the leaders sat them down and we passed out the crocs and shoes we brought along. Although I couldn't understand what the kids were saying I knew they were happy; the smiles were evident for sure. And then it was a free for all. Some boys wanted to play futbal (a.k.a. soccer :->). Others wanted to help the team paint the boys room blue. Some of the little ones just wanted to cuddle. One little girl in particular stole my heart. Six year old Artime (Ar-Tea-may) held on to my hand all day and wanted to be carried too.

This little girl's heart is so compassionate and ready to love. In the middle of our time together, something got into my eyes (dust particle or something) and it began to water like crazy. It looked like I was crying and I had to get a tissue. When I turned around, Artime still near by, she was crying too...as if seeing my pain, put her in pain. She's only six! What a heart!

In that, I see a leader. A pastor. I see a woman whose heart God can use and because of it's tenderness, the future of her ministry to others who are hurting will be so so powerful. I will continue to pray for this sweet sweet girl and look hopefully into the future of Haiti. Regardless of the circumstances, the future is bright. - Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment