Monday, July 12, 2010

Leading By Example

My wife, Tara, and I are so blessed to have four amazing daughters! Early on we had decided to focus our outreach efforts on helping children whenever possible. I have to tell you that there is no reward, on this earth, bigger than having your own children willingly helping others in need. Be it working on donation drives for the Children’s hospital, loading semi trailers heading to Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina, or working at an orphanage in China, we always participate as a family. Although, due to the unrest in Haiti, they will not be making the trip this time, my participation is made possible by the unwaivering support of my family. I want them to know, especially Tara, how much I truly appreciate all of their help in preparing for this mission trip to Haiti.

Since I was a little boy, Haiti has been a part of me. I was probably four years old, when our preacher at a small church in Baton Rouge, LA., heard the call and became a missionary to Haiti. I remember him bringing back pics, and showing them on the old slide projector. It was the little kids that stuck with me! It didn't matter how little they had... they all had huge smiles on their faces. The devastating earthquake in February brought back memories of those pics, and I wondered if any of those kids were one of the 230,000+ that were killed that day? When the opportunity to join the Hawaii to Haiti team came up, I could not say no. Seeing all of the kids, who lost their mommies and Daddies in the earthquake, running around in the hundreds of new crocs that were so graciously donated, I know that my life will be changed forever...and I can't wait!

I feel honored to be part of this very dynamic team from our church, New Hope Diamond Head. Their willingness to jump in and pull this whole thing together, in such a short timeframe, shows tremendous dedication and their true Love for all of God's people! I am stoked to spend the next ten days with these guys and gals, because I have seen this group in action and they know how to... Git 'er Dun! - James

1 comment: