Saturday, July 17, 2010

Devotion for Saturday, July 17, 2010

Scripture - Isaiah 29:13 “Then the Lord said, Because this people draw near with their words and honor Me with their lip service, but they remove their hearts far from Me, and their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote”

Observation - Here we see judgment against the Israelites who honor God with the speech and service, but their hearts are still far from Him. They have reverence for God based on what they have learned and practiced throughout their lives as Jewish believers. However, their reverence comes out as traditions which appear to be more religious actions based on repetitive rituals, rather than based on a heartfelt reverence before God. These judgments are given by Jesus later when he meets the religious leaders and Biblical teachers, such as in Matthew 15:8-9 "This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far away from me. But in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men."

Application - Is it with my heart that I honor God with my words and actions? Or do I simply pray, worship and serve because it is something that I have learned to do, but I just go through the actions without a purpose and heart behind it? This is very applicable to me in my walk with Christ today. I believe that Jesus wants to have a real and personal relationship with me. He probably cringes if I speak out in honor of His name and do good works for Him, if I don't know Him or do these things out of

Prayer - Lord, I pray that I would seek You in the morning and walk with You throughout my day, that anything I do would be with a heart devoted to You. I pray that I would not fall into any patterns of speaking or serving for You out of routine or habit, that would become meaningless tasks that are not connected to anything You may want me to do. I pray that as I continue to seek You with all my heart, You would reveal Your will to me throughout each day and lead me into the things and places You have set before me. In Jesus name, Amen. - Ty Dempsey

No comments:

Post a Comment